Friday, January 30, 2009

Please forgive me!



Forgive me readers for I have sinned, it has been too long a time since my last entry....yeah yeah I know, stop dribbling Naomi, and just tell us why you've poked your head back in here....well the main reason is coz I have a wonderful friend (She's actually my stitchin sister), Marion, who bought Raelene and I some delightful flowers today....and it was over 45'c when she personally delivered them....poor thing looked like she was in danger of melting.

As you can see, the flowers are just gorgeous aren't they? I think they're Singapore Orchids....thanks heavens someone told me they're fairly tolerant of hot weather and should last a wee while...but if they don't, I have pics of them and the memory of her face when she gave them to us.

THanks Marion, love ya long time baby xxx

Other news...we go back to school next week, and it's not supposed to cool down much before then...so my name is mud in Raelene's book...oh well, the schooling is for a good/greater cause than melting!

This year, we're studying Small Business Enterprise and Sewing Makes Cents. Will keep you all up to date with what's going on throughout the terms.

I have made some Black & White, "Used2b-ya" shopping bags.....seens as though 4th May is the deadline for plastic shopping bags here in Sth Australia, Raelene and I are trying to do our bit to help people not all have to have those horrid green reusable shopping bags...we have several brightly coloured ones that we use....and the Black & white ones, we've made to sell...$4 each (AUD) which is expensive if you want to compare them with the green ones ($1.00 AUD) BUT ours are not mass produced and each colour/fabric design is a limited edition...we have certain fabrics we use for the "Used2b-ya" bags....usually from vintage sheets, fabrics that are purchased at thrift shops and quilt covers.....anything that has been previously used, is washed and disenfected to ensure they are hygienic.

Another factor that people need to consider when weighing up the difference between our bags, and those available at the supermarket...ours are VERY strong....can post a pic showing one holding several hard covered books and the handles aren't even struggling under the weight! (My arms and back do trying to lift it mind!) are fully machine washable...most are made with 100% cotton or with poly cotton fabrics...and are not mass produced in a sweat shop....although at the moment, the heat in the room we do the sewing in, could be considered a sweat shop of sorts! lol

We plan to make alot more of the shopping bags...so if you are interested in buying some, please contact me via email...and I can organise as many as you need! So long as you aren't stocking the shelves of Coles or Woolies Australia wide! I can't sew that quick!

Try and stay cool the best you can...roll on cooler weather.

Hugs
Naomi

4 comments:

  1. gorgeous flowers Naomi...lucky girls..hugs
    Khris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely flowers. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! I'm also wishing you great good fortune in setting up your business venture at home.

    Thanks for stopping by and entering my giveaway. Your name is in the hat. Wish I was as creative as the rest of you bloggers I've been visiting so I could enter the Pay it Forward giveaway. It's been fun meeting you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi naomi,

    this is an interesting read on how Green Green bags are: http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/how-green-is-your-bag/2005/04/24/1114281452076.html

    they contain plastic and don't survive the washing machine. You can wipe them out but they don't last if you throw them in the washing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Naomi,

    Thank you for your nice comments on my blog. I am glad you love my work.
    I posted the tutorial for quilted basket.
    I saw you participate in the groups with bags lovers. If you will find the tutorial useful, feel free to share the link with your friends.

    I will come back to see your basket ! Happy quilting !
    Geta Grama from Romania

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments and will try to respond to each and every one.