Monday, August 20, 2012

Special request for an Aussie Hero

A couple of weeks ago, Jan-Maree from Aussie Hero Quilts put a call out for a quilt and laundry bag for an Aussie Hero....ND's wife had contacted AHQ Headquarters (Jan-Maree in other words, lol) requesting a quilt for her darling husband.

I quickly put my hand up, and Jan-Maree and I emailed a couple of times about the quilt, as ND is a Kiwi, but now lives in Australia (when he's not deployed that is) so we wanted to combine those two things...then Jan-Maree got further info from L (the wife) to say that her hubby lost his Mum at a young age, and they were close....and that there was a connection with roses because of that....so are you with me so far?  We have ear marked Kiwi fabrics, Aussie Fabrics, and rose fabric....then it was also established that he loves playing the guitar....so guitar and pick fabric was added to the mix.

Jan-Maree very kindly mailed me off some suitable fabric.....there was the rose fabric, some electric guitar fabric, some kiwi fruit fabric, some kiwi bird fabrics, some aussie bird fabric and the rest I added from my stash.

Here's what I came up with....I used the tutorial from the Aussie Hero blog and after slightly altering the measurements, ta-dah one brick wall quilt.

The following pic is a close up of the label on the back of the quilt.




Lastly, here's the laundry bag I made for him....I cut the letters for his initials out of the guitar pick fabric.



I've already heard from his wife that she thinks he's going to absolutely love his quilt.  I've seen a pic of him with his two young sons, and let me tell you, those two little fellas look like butter wouldn't melt in their mouths...such cuties.  L is hoping that the parcel I mailed off gets to ND in time for Fathers Day...so please, please keep your fingers crossed that it does.



6 comments:

  1. Great work for a great cause ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great job incorporating all those fabrics. How perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Aussie Hero Quilt looks fabulous and the laundry bag.
    Good putting on a label, I never do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely worth the wait. The quilt looks fabulous and how you managed to fit in all those elements is amazing.It is a fantatic 'eyespy' quilt for grown-ups, lol! Brilliant job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is gorgeous nomes -you did a great job! He is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely thing to do. very special getting fabrics to match his "likes"

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments and will try to respond to each and every one.